7.04.2011

Between the lines poetry

I was reading a little about poetry techniques in an old school textbook.
Two and a half hours later I caught myself intrigued.
Instantly I wanted to try some technique out.
I chose one that has to do with reading in between the lines.
I love how you can read the poem line by line, or read it line by line according to the font. There are lots of ways to approach it. Since I can't really explain I'd much rather have you see and read it.
So I pounded out this Jr. High grade poem in 5 minutes, just to try out this sweet technique.
Disclaimer: This is horrible poetry, I truly am a better writer. I'm just too excited and must share this technique with all asap.

Here it is:


The way you laugh, I want to hear it again.
Leaving my number on a napkin for that cute waiter, because the girls dared.
Your eyes that command my attention.
Three dates, three guys, one week.
That effortless charm you have with everyone.
Another free meal, another free activity, one more new friend.
That lingering touch that hangs in my memory.
Wearing my highest heels and my glam-est mascara.
Walking in flats and a loose white tee.                 
Laughing too loud, “when can we go out again?” On his part.
Your confidence that makes me think, you have almost, all of it together.
The bro, the hipster, the jock, the nerd.
You’re unclassified to me.
One more awkward doorstep scene.
I want to sit next to you all night.
Another random contact in my phonebook.
The way my name sounds in your voice.
At the end of the night there are all these choices.
I’d rather choose you, so why am I here sitting alone?

1 comment: