4.07.2012

Today's Normal Society

I've caught myself this past week looking at some pictures ...
some pictures I feel ashamed to admit I've been looking at.

I've been looking at these:




These women are gorgeous, fit, sexy, in a word ideal.

In our world today society tells women from age 8 - 60 that if you don't look like any of the above images, then you're not good enough.
It's like a poison that is seeping into our blood every.single.day.
Daily we are bombarded with images of celebrities, models and other "gorgeous" people.
I know that strong women like to say, "yeah but I'm confident with how I look."
Then why are you on Pinterest pinning these beautiful women? And how to get fit. And how to do your hair. And how to get the perfect brow.
No matter how strong a woman can be, inside, secretly there is a part of her that says, "if only ..."
poison

The worst part is that it not only affects the ladies, but the men as well.
Men see these images and that triggers something in their brain that says, "OK all women should look like this."
Therefore when we don't measure up to those standards those men think, "well why doesn't she look like this?"

Thus creating a cycle of poison.
Where will it end?
I have seen girls in class who are so plastered with makeup they don't look real. 
Is that beauty?
I've seen friends starve themselves so they'll drop a few pounds.
Is that beauty?

A word to my readers:
No matter how hard I workout.
How healthy I eat.
How much I starve myself.
How many "beauty" products I buy and use.
I will never look as "gorgeous" as any of these women pictured.

Am I OK with that?

How do we change society's views?
Can we?

Or do we just change our views and hope that we can stay strong and hold tight against the constant bombardment of ads and marketing that say, "you're just not pretty, smart, strong, sexy enough."
How do we help the men understand that normal women don't look like that?
I'm asking for solutions to this problem.
Because it IS a problem.
How can we change the ideals of today's world?
how?
how?
how?

No comments:

Post a Comment